Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Smartboard Files part 2 - Lesson Activity Toolkit

I started using the lesson activity toolkit in Smart Notebook a few weeks ago--I originally had trouble installing it in Vista, but I finally worked that out. It has some really useful tools, backgrounds, and activities that are worth taking the time to explore. I wasn't really sure what to do with them at first, but I watched a couple of videos that Smart Tech has been kind enough to upload (check out the videos on YouTube from SMARTTechVideos or just do a search on Lesson Activity Toolkit) and they gave me some really good ideas.

The hard part, as always, is taking what you see and finding some way to adapt it for teaching limudei kodesh. It isn't always intuitive!

The latest file I uploaded at
http://www.hillelpgh.org/langer/42 siach hasadeh.notebook
has a number of goodies that come from the toolkit. Aside from the pretty backgrounds and boxes, which add a nice professional polish to the notebook pages, I also used a flash activity that comes with the package.

I wasn't sure how to fit it in at first, but I hit on the idea of using it as an immediate review of the key points of a Rashi--a good way to solidify concepts before moving on and building on them through the rest of the lesson. The interactivity keeps interest, even for those students who don't really need the review, and it's fast, so there's very little down time.

I'll keep experimenting with the different tools to find new ways to apply them to Chumash and high school--not always an easy combination! In the meantime, let me know what you think.

No comments: