Friday, February 01, 2008

Studio 613 Vancouver Hebrew Academy

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. This week we hit two small snags. I know we will be able to overcome these challenges, but for now…we are all devastated.
So much for my dramatic flare.
Here is the problem…please let me know if you have come across this same issue and how you have dealt with it.

SOUND! The microphone that is built into the camera we are using is not as capable as the zoom feature on the lens. Meaning, when you film from a distance, you cannot hear the voices very well.
A friend suggested something called a “remote microphone”, has anyone ever used such a gizmo? I have been looking at local tech shops but it may be a specialty item.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Also, his particular camera does not like to connect to our Mac computers. It is a model PV-GS320 Panasonic Digital Video Camcorder. Has anyone experienced difficulty with this camera before? Right now we are using an older camera just for the download process, so we are OK on this point, but I would love to iron out the issue.
Well, back to work…with or without the little “issues” we are still having a great time and the students are learning too!

4 comments:

Elky Langer said...

I've never worked with video, but every article I've read on the subject recommends using an external microphone and not relying on the built-in mic in the video camera, unless you have a fabulous high-end camera with a terrific microphone. It sounds as if this is a common situation and probably not a specialty item.
Link to an article I recently read on the topic: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2247683,00.asp
Again, I haven't done this myself, so I can't recommend any specific product.

Rabbi D. Nimchinsky said...

When I looked up the specs on your Panasonic PV-GS320 on Panasonic's website http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Camcorders/MiniDV-Camcorders/model.PV-GS320.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection
it seems that your camera does not have an audio jack to allow for the connecting an external mike (so ignore my audio pickup response to your January post). External mike jacks are generally only found on mid to upper range cameras, not entry level 300-400 dollar digital video cameras (although there are exceptions!) You might want to consider looking at "last year's model". You can frequently find a good mid-range (and higher quality) product from the previous year's product line at around this year's entry level price. You generally wont find these "older models" at retail outlets like BestBuy and Circuit City, but they are readily available online. You might want to try an internet price comparison site like froogle.com or nexttag.com.
There are software solutions for improving recorded audio after the fact but I am not a Mac person so I don't know what tools are available for that platform.

Rabbi D. Nimchinsky said...

There is a "free to try" product called SRS Audio Sandbox. It has a set of tools that should allow you to improve your audio quality after the fact. I don't know if it has the capability of repairing audio tracks that are part of a video though.

Alex said...

Hi,

Would you be able to use a digital voice recorder and then add the sounds to the video? I don't know how it will synk, but it might be worth playing with it? Good luck