Sunday, March 23, 2008

Text and Context

Over the past month, I've been busy presenting a Purim/Megillat Esther PowerPoint that focuses on the Achaemenid Dynasty and Persepolis. I've also included a plan of the Susa palace complex since that is where our story takes place. Since this year, the Nach department is teaching the five megillot, it was a no-brainer that the teachers would be covering Esther before and around Purim.

I gave this integration lecture last year around Purim time to my son's fifth grade class in Yavneh elementary school and it went very well. The Achaemenid Dynasty is really as the megillah describes it, so the lecture really wrote itself. There is actually so much more to add to the presentation; perhaps I'll make another one in the future.

For the high school students, I did deepen the lecture and add to it, and they too responded positively. Megillat Esther is just a great story, Purim is such a fun holiday, and the art seems to go hand in hand with all the festivities!

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

No comments: