Friday, May 02, 2008

Lafayette, website, Elementary, CCJDS, May, 2008

We've come a long way, baby! We have finally completed our online FileMaker Server database of our school's report card. Our outside technical consultant/database creator completed her work and we have successfully uploaded the database. We are slowly starting to check it out, but it looks good. And isn't it just too typical--we are all ready to go, and it is too late to use it for our report cards, even for this academic year! So during the summer we will polish it and have it ready for the first trimester of the next academic year of 2008-09.

Following the Ed. Tech. Conference in NY last month, I finally had the chance to give a full report about the conference to my fellow faculty and head of school. They enjoyed and appreciated the input but are still somewhat skeptical about investing in SMART Boards, which is why I hope that our application to the Legacy Heritage Foundation for a SMART Board will be approved and we will be able to fully experiment with it and realize it's full potential. I'm sold, but it is hard selling my fellow faculty and administration when they have never seen a SMART Board and don't know what it is capable of.

As an Apple computer school, I have spent the past few weeks studying the new Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) operating system in preparation for taking the certification to be an Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSU) and I have long been studying for the Server certification which is quite a bit more challenging. In either case, the knowledge has helped tremendously in my role as Server Admin and Help Desk support teacher at the school.

As a final note, I KNOW we have been successful with this grant program because the 2nd grade teacher recently shared with me that his 2nd graders -- with my assistance--have successfully set up network home directories and home folders for their home work and routinely talk about "getting on the server" to print and edit their work! Wow! Thank you, AVI CHAI!

No comments: