Thursday, October 16, 2008

Teaching the Hebrew Calendar

Dana Bar Or, one of our middle grades Hebrew teachers, was teaching the Hebrew Calendar to her 4th grade students at South Area Solomon Schechter Day School. Here is what she had to say:

I gave the students a blank calendar with only the secular dates and Rosh HaShana filled in. The students used their knowledge of Hebrew and their knowledge of the Jewish holidays to fill in the rest of the Tishrei holidays. (e.g., If there are 10 days of teshuvah, how many days do we need to count between Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur?) They filled in all of the Hebrew dates and all of the holidays, and then they decorated their calendars with symbols for each holiday. It took three lessons to finish the work, but it was worth it because the students learned so much from the process!

After the calendars were finished, I went around to each student and interviewed him/her in Hebrew about what he/she had done. I videotaped each one as they talked to me (in Hebrew) about their calendar and about the holidays of Tishrei. This videotape will be part of the file for each child that I am keeping to demonstrate his/her progress in Hebrew this year.

1 comment:

Lisa Colton said...

Very cool! I love the integration of Math and Judaics. I've forwarded your idea to our kindergarten - I wonder if it can be adapted to help teach counting and pre-math skills too.