Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Family Histories at King David Taking Shape

The new cameras and scanner arrived in October and have already been put to use as our grade 11 "electronic family histories" begin to take shape. Students have received expert instruction from our media arts teacher, Wendy Oberlander on lighting and sound techniques in order to produce professional looking results. Students have been gathering family artifacts and photos; using the scanner to create digital records of these valuable family heirlooms. Students have been actively engaged in this project as they have discovered family stories that have never before been recorded in any format but will now be part of a personal and community legacy as these stories are recorded and made available for future generations to see and hear.

Student comments:

"The project has really helped my relationship with my grandparents. I got to find out many new things about my grandfather that I never knew, and would have never known if I did not have this opportunity. This is one of the more fun and more educational experiences that I have had at school, and is a memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life." -- Max James

"I feel this project is a great oppertunity for me to learn about my familes past and to realize what my ancesters went through so I can be where I am today. It lets me appreciate what I have so much more." -- Raffi Freedman

There remains the difficult task of turning the raw materials into interesting visual and audio stories but with the right tools at their disposal, thanks to the help of Avi Chai, our students are up to the challenge.

No comments: