Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yom Yerushalayim

"Yom Yerushalayim is the day Yerushalayim was united in 1967-in the Six Day War," I said to my students. On this day, usually, the Prime Minister of Israel speaks to the nation and emphasizes the importance of a united Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel. This year on the evening of Yom Yerushalayim Mr. Netanyahu addressed the nation. I captured the speech via Jing, loaded it onto the internet on screencast.com and presented the audio clip to my High School students on the Smartboard. The students listened to the speech, learned the new vocabulary, idioms and verbs. The next day, the students analyzed the verbs. On the Smartboard, using the floating tools, I drew a chart and the students had the opportunity to come up and write on the Smartboard filling in the Shoresh, Binyan, and Zman. On the third day, I presented again thet same audio clip of Netanyahu on the Smartboard. I stopped the clip at different intervals. The students were able to complete Mr. Netanyahu's sentences orally on their own. I recall the first time I organized this drill, the students had a hard time figuring out what they heard. Now, after several audio clips in which the students heard Hebrew as spoken in Israel through the electronic media, they are able to understand and mark down what was being said. I am very pleased with their progress.

Attached please find the audio clip:http://www.screencast.com/t/NmNhMDUz

No comments: