Sunday, June 19, 2011

The 8th Annual Games for Change Festival, June 20-22, 20011 NY

What does a Hebrew teacher in the Diaspora have to do with Games for Change Festival? I could easily see in this festival my 27 year old son, a lawyer, currently in the Peace Corps in Moldoa, who teaches all the young people of the village video games and, and plays with his friends back home in the USA almost every night all kinds of online video games till the early hours of the morning....

When I first began teaching Hebrew with chalk on a blackboard, and hand-written worksheets and tests, I never could have imagined that one day I would be typing all my handouts and assignments on the computer in HEBREW and ask the students to do the same. I never dreamed that I would have the computer skills to create online interactive assignments, to conduct an online Hebrew class and assess my students’ progress via games that I create. The whole concept of designing a Hebrew lesson, in the classroom or on line requires one to consider the psychology of games and its affect on the learner. It has become clear to me that Games have become the name of the game. One can say better living through Chemistry, and I say better learning through gaming.

I am so thankful to be one of the recipients of an Avi Chai fellowship to attend the Games for Change festival. I am looking forward to meeting incredibly talented and creative people who will no doubt inspire me to continue to think outside the box and be innovative. I often think about what our favorite and beloved author Dr. Seuss wrote: " Oh, the thinks you can think, if you're willing to try.."

This festival is a platform for a great adventure, where I will be immersed by great thinkers. I know it will inspire me to always continue to dream big thinks!

L'hitraot tomorrow!

Yaffa Malashock

No comments: