Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Newbie?

I have a confession to make: I'm a newbie. This realization has taken me by surprise. After all, I know how to program, I've built webpages, designed websites and have used technology in my class in a variety of ways over the years. But over then last few days at ISTE I have been wondering if I really knew anything at all. I just went to a session by Steve Dembo and he confirmed it; tweeting and owning a computer does not make one a computer guru.
The truth is, I am comfortable with technology but ISTE is really showing me how large the chasm is between be comfortable with a computer and really incorporating technology into the classroom. The world is changing with rapidity and the way in which we interact with the world around us is transforming. Making sense of this revolution is so important and modeling this for the next generation is a huge responsibility; being mindful of those colleagues who are hesitant to embrace this change is also foremost in my mind.
So where to start? Well my confession above is one type of beginning. I believe that true knowledge is knowing enough to admit how much there is to learn. Another important step is to remember that technology is a tool not - at least for the most part- the goal. The next step is to rethink curriculum and maerials and media to reinvigorate learning and teaching for the next generation.
My next step is to figure out how to make even more of my curriculum student centered with all these new tools that I now know about. My first idea idea is to have my students tweet a 'ticket to enter' for class on the material from the session before. (even though I have been assured that students don't think that twitter is cool.) My burning question right now: can anyone create hashtags or is there an official procedure?

3 comments:

rachel said...

Anyone can create a hashtag. You just start using it...

Dave Weinberg said...

While anyone can create a hashtag, much like anything else the apoption and use of it depends on your choice and ability to market the idea.
Always start by searching to see if it exists already using Twitter: http://search.twitter.com. Keep it super short and then tell everyone about it, both as an announcement and by using it in relevant situations/frequently.
Good Luck! #iste #jed21 #fojnp :)

Teach42 said...

On my phone so this will be brief, but I beg to differ on one point.... We're all newbies. I can't tell you how many times I had the same thought. You think you have it under control and then someone points out a site or news story that it seems EVERYONE knows (except you). In some Circles, yer the guru. In others, yer the newbie. And that's just the way it is :).

Thanks for the thought provoking post